warning, lots of links to click on ahead. go ahead, click on them- you wont be disappointed.
okay-- christmas 2011 i'm ready for you. i have gifts for everybody except brandon (how to find out his shoe size sneaker-ily) and chris because they are the hardest to shop for. (minus marcusdouglas because i happened to find something extraordinarily perfect for him early in the game)
though, brandon taught me that in order to get people what they WANT and not what you think they want you should make a list all year of things they say they want randomly and go off that.
i'm a horrible gift giver.
i just get so distracted by things that dont matter!
i'm like "OH MY GOODNESS, GEOFF ALWAYS NEEDED A USB SHAPED LIKE BATMAN!"
or
"chris absolutely pines for this wooden bird desk clip from anthropologie!"
NOT.
the thing is, i buy people things I THINK ARE COOL.
and it only dawned on me in the last few years watching other people open gifts i give them and the look of puzzled confused semi joy and the second thought of "where do i put this and why do i need this?" comes over their faces...
that maybe the gifts i get aren't that sweet.
and to top it off, i'm surrounded by people who are EXTREMELY EXCELLENT gift givers.
i.e. sarah m. tayebi example: even though i own more clothes than the average clothing store, she still gets me cute clothes because she knows i love them. and she has awesome taste.
i.e. geoffrey francis: getting sarah a people's magazine subscription. and me an ernie beanie. enough said.
i.e. mom: makes people the most gorgeous quilts that will last forever and are outrageously artistic and take her all year to put together and sometimes longer. i'm afraid to USE the quilts she's made for me (that's how nice they are) and so all of them are on display.
i.e. chris: has excellent taste and always gets very thoughtful gifts that are cherished by the person forever.
i.e. dad is a combination of all of these things (minus the quilting)
i.e. lachelle: always finds funky, artsy, cute, AND substantial things that nobody knows about yet because she is ahead of her time.
i.e. brandon: who obviously knows what i want for every single present opportunity because i mention what i like and he remembers really really well. and he's good at surprising me.
and then, there was me.
i hope grace gets her gift giving from ... not me.
are you good at giving gifts?
got any tips?
September 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I don't, but this guy does, and he freaks me out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=befugtgikMg
My mom does her Christmas/birthday shopping year-round. If she sees something she thinks someone would like, she buys it and hides it until the moment of gift-giving has arrived. I tried that once, but I got way too excited about giving the gift and ended up giving it like 3 months early. Now I'm back to always giving people books. And journals.
ahhh, this cracked me up! I know this about you, but I love you anyway and would be laugh if I received any one of those items!
I love the gifts you give me- and the paper clip bird looks amazing (chris agrees!). This post is eerie bc I have been thinking of Christmas all day today!!!
No advice from me....I got this for my brother for Christmas (among other random weirdness). http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/ba26/
Okay, and also, the thing is, if someone got me anything from Urban Outfitters as a gift, I would be really happy. Because there's some really awesome stuff to be had. And the whole point of gifts is that they're not something you NEED, they're something you WANT.
Post a Comment